An interesting article in U.S. News & World Report about the lessons we can learn from the rest of the world. There’s some really interesting stuff.
My favorites: European urban planning, Dominican Baseball fanatics, German prostitutes as aides to the elderly. Least Favorites: Finnish charging rich people more for traffic tickets, French people have more meaningful conversations at dinner (?), UBER-Budget Airlines.
30 Valuable Lessons That Americans Can Learn From the Rest of the World:
- Europe: Giving Drivers the Benefit of the Doubt–Less traffic lights, less accidents, go figure.
- Europe: Flying on the Cheap–charging for wheelchair usage could be considered extreme.
- Europe: Holes That Make for Better Roads–this seems so obviously a good idea.
- Europe: Cities With a Heart–cities that weren’t designed around car traffic are just cooler to hang out in.
- Germany, Netherlands: Making the Streets Safer for Cycling–biking is better.
- Germany: Novel Aides for the Aged–Prostitutes helping old people.
- Netherlands: Abuse as a Disease, Not a Crime–rehab as the focus for drug offenders.
- Netherlands: Below Sea Level? No Problem–New Orleans should be quite jealous.
- Finland: Sticking It to the Scofflaw–traffic fines assessed based on income
- Sweden: Straight Facts About the Birds and Bees
- Norway: Getting Paid for Parenting–we’re talking SERIOUS maternity leave.
- Denmark: Energy Efficiency From the Wind
- United Kingdom: Free Health Coverage for All–
- United Kingdom: Finding Yourself (and the World) in a Year
- Iceland: Pristine Reputation for Government
- France: Talking Is a World-Class Sport–the French are obviously smarter than we are.
- Italy: Food Not as Fuel but as a Way of Life
- Dominican Republic: Where Ballplayers Are Born and Made–baseball gloves picked out while in the womb.
- Colombia: All Aboard South America’s Upper-Class Bus–public transportation not just for poor people.
- Japan, South Korea: Want a Drink? Pay With Your Phone–High tech
- Japan: Even the Toilet Is High-Tech–really high tech
- Japan: Skimpy Portions and Satisfied Stomachs–Americans are fat
- Japan: Communing Through Cleaning–
- Japan: More Stressed, but Still Safer
- Taiwan: The Afternoon Nap Attack
- Singapore: When You Litter, You Pay–$1000 fines and community service
- Bhutan: Smoke-Free at the Top of the World–First nation to completely ban smoking.
- Australia: Protection From the Sun